Digital Editor & Copywriter
(Salary range £18-25 per hour DoE. Typically 24 hours per week. Open to international applicants)
XBRL International (XII) is a global not-for-profit operating in the public interest. Our purpose is to improve the accountability and transparency of business performance globally, by providing the open data exchange standard for business reporting. Simply put we help reporting of all kinds move from paper to data.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our small, international team as a freelance digital editor. The ideal candidate will have a nose for news, the ability to turn technical topics into lively copy, and experience with social media management. The digital editor’s work helps drive transparency forward by promoting, explaining and encouraging better business reporting practices worldwide.
Role and Responsibilities
- Source, write, and schedule a weekly newsletter consisting of relevant news content covering developments in the XBRL standard, financial reporting, data, and regulation.
- Manage XII‘s social media presence, including developing and scheduling social media content for LinkedIn and Twitter and evaluating performance.
- Design and deliver content marketing campaigns for events, including the development of press release, web and social media content.
- Edit and co-develop white papers and case studies based on interviews with regulators and other key stakeholders.
- Events assistance for our annual conference (one week of annual international travel required).
Key Skills and Attributes
- Native-level English speaker with excellent written communication skills and an eye for good copy.
- Bachelor’s degree with either a large essay-writing component or focus on relevant technical content OR demonstrable equivalent work experience.
- Experience writing engaging content for web and social media.
- Meticulous editor who never lets a typo slip.
- Self-starter with good time-management skills and a respect for deadlines.
- Quick learner able to rapidly comprehend technical topics,
- An ability to quickly comprehend and explain complex policy and relevant rules in multiple jurisdictions.
- Flexibility, a can-do attitude and a willingness to pitch in where required.
- Interest in financial reporting, regulation, transparency and/or data.
- Experience using Mailchimp, Hootsuite and a WordPress-based CMS.
- Experience creating and working to comprehensive marketing campaigns.
- Experience conducting interviews and building a network of contacts.
- An international focus with an interest in multiple cultures.
This role is on a part-time freelance basis, with hours up to 24 per week and some flexibility on working days possible
While we are all currently working from home due to the pandemic, in future this role could be conducted remotely or from our office in Oxford. The current editor has been doing this work from her home in Barcelona.
Please send your CV, a short cover letter (no more than 250 words) explaining why you are interested in the role and how you meet the requirements, and a sample of your writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates interested in the role are encouraged to review https://www.xbrl.org/news and then look at this, this or this web page and write a 100-300 word piece in the style of the XII newsletter as their sample piece. Please submit your application no later than 9am UTC on 16 December 2020.