Digital Editor & Copywriter (Maternity Cover)
(Salary range £18-25 per hour DoE. Typically 24 hours per week. Open to international applicants.)
XBRL International (XII) is a global not-for-profit operating in the public interest. Our purpose is to improve the accountability and transparency of business performance globally, by providing the open data exchange standard for business reporting. Simply put we help reporting of all kinds move from paper to data.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our small, international team as a freelance digital editor, providing 7–8 months’ maternity cover with the possibility of extension. The ideal candidate will have a nose for news, the ability to turn technical topics into engaging copy, and experience with social media management. The digital editor’s work helps drive transparency forward by promoting, explaining and encouraging better business reporting practices worldwide.
Role and Responsibilities
- Most importantly, source, write, and schedule a weekly newsletter consisting of relevant news content covering developments in the XBRL standard, digital reporting, regulation and related topics. This newsletter provides a constant ‘heartbeat’ that connects us with our community.
- Manage XII‘s social media presence, including developing and scheduling social media content for LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Develop and edit occasional case studies, guest posts, interviews and similar materials in collaboration with regulators and other key stakeholders.
- Provide ad hoc editing help on staff content such as blog posts and presentations.
Key Skills and Attributes
- Native-level English speaker with excellent written communication skills and an eye for good copy.
- Bachelor’s degree with either a large writing component or focus on relevant technical content, OR demonstrable equivalent work experience.
- Experience writing engaging content for web and social media.
- Meticulous editor who never lets a typo slip.
- Self-starter with good time-management skills and a respect for deadlines.
- Quick learner able to rapidly grasp technical topics.
- An ability to quickly comprehend and explain complex policy and relevant rules in multiple jurisdictions.
- Flexibility, a can-do attitude and a willingness to pitch in where required.
- Interest in financial reporting, regulation, transparency and/or data.
- Experience using Mailchimp, a WordPress-based CMS, and a social media management platform.
- Experience creating and working to comprehensive marketing campaigns.
- Experience conducting interviews and building a network of contacts.
- An international focus with an interest in multiple cultures.
This role is on a part-time freelance basis, requiring around 24 hours per week. The bulk of the work currently needs to be done during Monday–Wednesday, but some flexibility on working days and hours is possible. The role can be conducted either remotely or from our office in Oxford; our team is largely remote, with some of the UK-based members currently transitioning back to the office.
The ideal start date for this role will be between 28 November and 5 December 2022. We currently anticipate that the maternity cover period will run until around the end of July 2023. There may be a possibility of extension, with weekly hours yet to be determined, dependent on funding.
Please send your CV, a short cover letter (no more than 250 words) explaining why you are interested in the role and how you meet the requirements, and a sample of your writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates interested are encouraged to review https://www.xbrl.org/news and/or our newsletter archive here, then look at this, this or this web page and write a 100–300 word piece in the style of the XII newsletter as their sample piece. Please submit your application no later than 9am UTC on Monday 7 November 2022.